Published on March 21st, 2017 | by Jose Vasquez0
The 5 Worst Hiring Problems Startup Tech Companies Need to Overcome
Starting a business is hard, but sometimes, finding the people to run it can be even harder.
A good business is more than just a good idea, and more than just good infrastructure. A good business also needs a good team. Unfortunately, building a team is often harder than it looks. Startups face a number of unique challenges when it comes to hiring new people, and it pays to be aware of them before you begin the process.
- Budget. As a startup, you won’t have much revenue coming in, so you won’t be able to offer an attractive salary. Of course, the top talent in the industry will be used to big paychecks, which leaves you in a dilemma. Opt for less experienced people who still have the talents and the work ethic you need.
- Passion. It’s easy to look for people who have a certain skill set or a certain background, but passion isn’t something you can read on a resume. Finding passionate people for your startup will be a challenge that demands creativity and patience in your search.
- Commitment. You don’t want people who will join your startup, only to bail after a month or two. You want people willing to invest in this for the long haul. Finding people with this patience and commitment is harder than you might think.
- If you hire too soon, you’ll end up paying too much money for people to sit around. If you hire too late, you may struggle to fill your open positions. It’s a catch-22 with no easy answer.
- Adaptability. Finally, you’ll need to find candidates who are willing to step out of their comfort zone and take on responsibilities outside their usual area of expertise. This is harder than it sounds.
If you can overcome these five hiring obstacles in startup tech companies, you’ll be in a position to hire all the employees you need to make your company a success. Just don’t expect it to come together immediately or perfectly.