Published on December 5th, 2013 | by Jose Vasquez0
6 Great Open Source Software Alternatives for Startup Tech Companies
Startup tech companies need all the free or cheap quality resources they can get, which is why these six open source software alternatives are perfect.
As a startup tech entrepreneur, you’re going to have to live and breathe technology in everything from business fundamentals to regular operations. Unfortunately, most software products cost a lot of money, and most startups are relatively strapped for cash.
But startup tech entrepreneurs tend to be resilient—if there’s an alternative path to a similar destination, they’ll be willing to take it. Take a look at these six open source alternative software programs, and see how you can use them to improve your business:
- Thunderbird. Thunderbird is a free email client alternative to programs like Outlook. Thunderbird can save you nearly $100 per user in your office, and with support from the makers of Firefox, you’re assured to get a quality product.
- OpenProj. No matter what kind of startup you’re heading, you’re going to need some sort of project management or task delegation software. OpenProj is a great, open source way to get the job done.
- SugarCRM. An effective Customer Relations Management system can mean the difference between winning a long-term sale and floundering, but most CRM systems are expensive to purchase and maintain. SugarCRM is completely free in its basic form, and it has other options for those who need a little bit more.
- LibreOffice. Microsoft Office is the usual choice for creating and maintaining documents and spreadsheets, but the software alone can cost you a couple hundred dollars per user. Instead, you can rely on LibreOffice as a cheaper alternative.
- TurboCASH. For accounting software, you might want to splurge a little, but when you’re first starting out, the basics are all you’re going to need. Check out TurboCASH as a way to maintain your books throughout the early phases of your business.
- Simple Invoices. The name says it all. You’ll need a simple and consistent invoicing system to take care of your accounts, and Simple Invoices is far more affordable than most conventional programs.
Open source software may not give you as many fancy options as their fully licensed counterparts, but they can certainly save entrepreneurs a lot of money.
|Startup Tech Companies Quick Guide to Hiring|
|How Startup Tech Companies Keep Angel Investors Happy|
|Why Startup Tech Companies Need a Team of Entrepreneurs|