Published on March 22nd, 2016 | by Jose Vasquez0
5 Tips to Prepare for Demo Day in Startup Tech Companies
For startup tech entrepreneurs in startup accelerators and incubators, demo day is one of the most important turning points for the company.
Demo day. It’s one of the most exciting and most nerve-wracking days you’ll face as a startup tech entrepreneur. Whether you’re in an accelerator, an incubator, or you’re just an independent entrepreneur going up for a potential round of funding, demo day is your chance to show off how innovative your product actually is and court the people who might give you the money you need to keep growing.
In order to be successful on demo day, you have to be prepared. Make sure you incorporate these five tips into your preparations and your presentation:
- Test until it hurts. Test your product dozens of times. Run through every highlight, and anything else someone might ask to see. It’s okay if your product is incomplete or not fully functional in some cases, but you cannot be surprised on demo day. You need to know your product inside and out.
- Don’t rehearse too much. You should definitely practice your presentation multiple times, but it’s crucial to present naturally. If you seem like you’re reading from a script, your presentation isn’t going to have nearly as much impact.
- Focus on the new user’s experience. As you demonstrate your product, present from the perspective of a customer who has never seen your software before. Be realistic; a brand new customer isn’t going to know all the hidden features of your site. Instead, mimic their actions; go to your main callouts and experiment.
- Pepper in details on what’s to come. It’s important to outline your gameplan for the iterations of your product to come, but you also don’t want to put more emphasis on the future than the present. It’s best to drop hints about your future features casually.
- Get your details straight. Investors want facts, statistics, and details. Make sure you’ve done your research and you’ve got the numbers to support your story.
Demo day is make or break for hundreds of new startups every year. Go in prepared and blow your audience away.
|How Social CEOs Can Build Startup Tech Companies|
|The Disappearance of Paid Apps for Startup Tech Companies|
|How to Maintain Company Culture While Undergoing Expansion in Startup Tech Companies|