Published on July 17th, 2013 | by Jose Vasquez3
5 Reasons to Seek Perpetual Education in Startup Tech Companies
It’s easy to run out of time as an entrepreneur, but startup tech company leaders should dedicate a major portion of their time to continual education.
Most entrepreneurs begin their journey with formal education in a specific field, and do significant research during the planning stages of their startup tech company. But too many entrepreneurs get to a certain point in their business development and suddenly stop seeking further education.
The more deeply involved you become with your company, the less time you’re going to have. But don’t let that prevent you from setting time aside every week to continue your education. It doesn’t necessarily mean pursuing formal education in a university or even a teacher/student setting, but it does mean going out of your way to learn more about your industry and the economy in general.
These top five reasons outline the key benefits of pursuing constant education as a startup tech entrepreneur:
- Understand market trends. Demographics change. Fads come and go. You’ll need to constantly stay up to date on the latest trends and shifts in market paradigms. That way, you’ll never be blindsided as a marketer.
- Outdo your competitors. Keep abreast of new information and learn more about your competitors. Find out what they do, why they do it, and how they do it, and learn from that information to better your own business model.
- Understand new technology. This is absolutely critical for a startup technology company. Technology is constantly evolving and even if you aren’t developing yourself, you need to understand the latest developments and learn to harness them effectively.
- Adopt new perspectives. Getting different perspectives on familiar themes is vital for your company to grow naturally. The more you learn from diverse sources, the more completely you’ll be able to critically examine your own thoughts.
- Get new ideas. Learning new information is the best way to get new ideas how to expand or refocus your business. Some of the greatest innovators in the world got to where they are because they are constantly reading and learning new things.
No matter how much your company grows or how little time you have, never lose sight of your own continuing education. Read news every morning and stay focused on learning new skills and new perspectives as often as possible.