Published on April 30th, 2013 | by Jose Vasquez0
5 Keys for Startup Tech Companies to Find a Solid Developer
Once you have a great idea for a new app, you’ll need to find an equally great lead developer using these tips to ensure a good fit.
Building a great team is essential to building and preserving positive momentum in a startup tech company. But it can be hard to find good talent when you have limited resources, and even harder if you don’t know what to look for.
Zoe Fox writes about sustainable technologies for Mashable. In a recent article she outlines five keys to find yourself a great lead developer.The tech experts at Mashable outline five keys to find yourself a great lead developer:
- Go Where They Go. Use social networking sites and local groups to sniff out the people who are really passionate about development. Look for local meet-up events and attend to learn more about specific programming languages and meet people who might be interested in your company.
- Look for Communication Skills. The “shy geek” stereotype might seem ideal—someone to code without much distraction. But your head developer should be more communicative, and more of a leader. Seek the outgoing over the shy.
- Seek Experience. Experience is a must. Look for people who have had both independent and agency experience, and avoid anyone fresh out of school.
- Don’t Rely on Applicants. Go beyond simply posting a want ad and wading through the applications. Use LinkedIn and other professional networking services to meet and discover new talent that might not be actively seeking a new position.
- Never Underestimate the Importance of the Culture Fit. When making your hiring decision, don’t underestimate how well they fit into your ideal environment. You’re building a team, and you need to make sure they mesh well with your other team members.
The bottom line here is to have an idea of what you need in terms of experience as well as personality. To develop something truly extraordinary, you need an extraordinary team filled with passionate, communicative individuals. Your team is going to make or break your business, so don’t just settle for whoever walks in through the door.
Please click on the following link to read Zoe’s article, 5 Ways to Find a Lead Developer for Your Startup.